[muglo] Re: eMac Keyboard Problem [OT]

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:58:40 -0400

It's rather amusing that Apple alienates 3/4 of the country with stupidity,
and underservices the other 1/4 as a consequence. Does Micro$oft do the same
thing (I can't remember whether they have a Canada - English = USA settings
policy as well)?

What we need is a Canada - English and Canada - French setting: Both
settings using SI (obviously), but Canada - English set to the "regular"
(read USA) keyboard that we (Anglos) *all* use, and Canada- French using the
"whatever" CSA keyboard they use (do they use a *real* French (as in France)
keyboard or do they use some silly Canadian invention?).

>From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [muglo] Re: eMac Keyboard Problem
>Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:54:36 -0400
>
>Guys!
>
>You're fishing up the wrong tree... It ain't Apple so much as Apple's
>desire
>to sell into the Education and Government markets in Canada (last I looked
>La Belle Province is still a part of Canada and so much the better for us!)
>and that means a Bi-lingual keyboard. At least it's not Azerty. I think
>Apple's great for even considering the customers it has in Quebec.

That is admirable but unfortunately we (non Quebecers) get screwed in the
process. Well, not *me* but people who haven't had to fight the idiocy that
Apple sometimes is capable of for 19 years (technically 16 since I didn't
come to Canada until 3 years after we got our first Mac) won't know what's
wrong or what to change! Actually, no, "me too". I've had to provide tech
support to people who didn't know what stupidity Apple was doing.

>Canada is
>officially bi-lingual and you can either like it or get involved and change
>it. Don't blame apple for meeting Canadian requirements!

I have to disagree. They *aren't* meeting Canadians' requirements (perhaps
regulations but far too many of those involving Quebec haven't been well
implemented at times (I keep coming back to the farcical nature of Canada's
food labelling laws... yes, I know how to say beurre d'arrachides in French,
but there's no such thing as the Cantonese or Mandarin or Italian versions
(*much* more important than French in Toronto or Vancouver)) ;-). They are
failing miserably since selecting Canada in the preferences does not set SI
and sets an unworkable keyboard that has no relationship with the keyboard
Canadians have been using since time immemorial (I find it so amusing to see
people swearing up and down when they find out for the first time that Apple
sets a @!#!% Canadian keyboard when you select Canada).

Asserting our independence from the US is a national pasttime and also valid
since we're wildly different societies and the US, as a whole (there are
pockets of rationality... of course, we too have our Alberta (home of King
"Kyoto is evil and so are the Liberals and Ontario and gay marriage and the
Supreme Court and..." Ralph and a mini Canadian "Bible belt") has little
worth emulating (much to the chagrin of the CRAP party of Alberta and for
some very bizarre reason, parts of BC)...

Anyway, my political rant aside, my point is that there's absolutely *no*
reason to have a "separate" Anglo CSA keyboard since hardly anyone outside
of la belle province uses CSA (unless they have some particular need to
communicate with la belle province... since I do all my trilingual
communications in English, Dutch and German I have no use for CSA, and, even
if I did, since I was 9 years old I learned how to do it with a regular
keyboard, not the bizarre CSA keyboard).

Ironically schools don't use it. I once walked into a lab to find computers
set to be in the US -- it turned out this was the easiest way to make sure
the computers were usable ;)

>'Scuse me while I get an umbrella for the coming shit-storm of commentary.

Hehehehe. It *stinks*.