[muglo] Re: disaster...

  • From: Barry Takayesu <barryt99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 11:57:14 -0400

Although it isn't helpful for Gary, this situation is a reminder and warning
for all of us. If you have valuable information or data on your computer -
BACK IT UP! Nowadays, you can copy your music, photos, documents onto USB
drives - for around $20 or less or you can get a huge hard drive for under
$100 and that could back up almost everything. Compare those dollar amounts
to the numbers that are bandied about: $1500, $1700 to retrieve your old
drive data or even the low figure of $200 to maybe reclaim a single
document. I've heard members say that they didn't have anything worthwhile
to bother backing up...only vacation photos and music. In the case of
photos, they could never be replaced! Letters and written documents can
often be recreated, but photos? Never!

What a super insurance plan an extra hard drive is! But like insurance,
buying it - even 1 second after a disaster - nets you nothing! And remember,
once you back up your valuable data, verify that it is there and
retrievable. Maybe store it away from your computer in case of fire, flood
or theft. We've had posts by a member who went to their backup drive after a
catastrophe, only to find that there wasn't anything there.

In Gary's case, it is doubly ironic because he was indeed trying to back up
his data when disaster struck. Sorry that it happened. Could Disk Warrior
possibly help in this case?

Barry

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Gary Vanniere <recpros@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ....recovery just as I was about to backup my data with a cloud I have a
> total hard drive failure.
>
> It seems that the arm has either been "disarmed" or not reading the
> disk...any recovery experts in the London area that won't cost $1,700 like
> the service in Toronto???

Barry Takayesu                   Prestige Print & Graphics
(519) 631-8800                   10592 Wellington Rd
barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      St.Thomas, ON N5P 3T1