[muglo] Re: disaster...

  • From: Paul Tucknott <paulvt@xxxxxx>
  • To: "muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:26:04 -0400

All good advice, Barry.

Your backup strategy is directly proportional to the value of the data that you
want to save. Any backup is better than none. Every Mac in the last ten years
has had at least a CD writer, you can use external drives, flash drives,
Internet based storage... But be sure to use something!

Once you have a backup, make a backup! You can never have too many copies of
your most important data. Put a copy in a safety deposit box or fireproof safe.
What good is your backup on an external hard drive if your house burns down and
your data goes with it. Or if your computer is stolen - along with your backup
drive.

One aspect often overlooked is to make sure you know how to recover your data
from your backup. This can be a big issue if you have a sophisticated strategy
using software like Retrospect. Saving data is one thing but being able to
restore it and get up and running again needs to be considered.

I am always reminded of our customer that returned from service in Afghanistan
and met his newborn daughter for the first time. His wife had taken several
thousand pictures of the first nine months of their little girls life and had
downloaded all the photos their MacBook. The hard drive failed two weeks before
he got home. They had no backup and she had never printed a single photo. All
lost.

Paul Tucknott
Mostly Digital