[muglo] Re: Web site creating

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:07:56 -0400

On 4/23/05, doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
> On Apr 21, 2005, at 9:09 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > You've got a permissions problem. YOU have the correct permissions to
> > read the contents of the Sites folder but Apache (httpd) does not.
>=20
> Yes.... makes sense, Apache doesn't have permission. I found this in
> the FAQ:
>=20
> 15) Why do I get a "Forbidden/You don't have permission to access / on
> this server" message whenever I try to access my server?
> Search your conf/httpd.conf file for this exact string: <Files ~>. If
> you find it, that's your problem -- that particular <Files> container
> is malformed. Delete it or replace it with <Files ~ "^\.ht"> and
> restart your server and things should work as expected.
>=20
> This error appears to be caused by a problem with the version of
> linuxconf distributed with Redhat 6.x. It may reappear if you use
> linuxconf again.
>=20
> If you don't find this string, check out the previous question.
>=20
> ---------------
> Okay, so I am a OSX naive old-fart newby, but where do I go to fix it?
> Is this something I have to do through Terminal?

Well, there are two things I would suggest you do:
1.
i. create a NEW "junk" account (you could even call it junk) which
DOES NOT have administration privs.
ii. turn ON web sharing using your admin account (presumably doug)
iii. switch to your junk account (whether that be by "fast user
switching" or by logging out & in)
iv. create a crude index.html file using the text editor (or BBEdit or
whatever) in your junk account which you place in the Sites folder of
junk...
v. Fire up your web browser and type
localhost/~junk/index.html
localhost/~eric/index.html

and see what kind of error messages you get. ~eric should give you a
file not found type error (if the localhost bit is typed properly)
whereas the ~junk should work.

Now, I'm not sure if that HREF will work but...

2.
in your admin account (doug) open up Terminal.app and type the following:
locate httpd.conf

Using the output from the locate command figure out the path to the
httpd.conf files.

Then type the following:

cp /etc/httpd/conf/*.conf ~/Desktop/

PS If either locate or cp complain about permissions, prepend "sudo "
(without the quotes) to the commands.

PSS replace /etc/httpd/conf/ in the cp command with the path shown in
the locate command's output (/etc/httpd/conf is where the conf files
are stored in Fedora Core/Red Hat Linux).

Then, send the httpd file(s) from your desktop to this e-mail addy,
but do so off list (since the list doesn't accept attachments). I'll
compare your httpd.conf files against mine and see whether there are
any problems (there will be differences since I've customised my
httpd.conf file but the important components will be the same).

Eric.