[muglo] Re: VPC (was- Re: OS X Upgrade)

  • From: Alex <admeddemda@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:33:17 -0400

>Yipes, you've got a lot of variables in there that make it hard to trouble
>shoot. I am still partial to the conclusion that it's your hardware,
>especially with 4 RAM chips and a G4 550. Since you have four of 'em what
>I'd do is pull one each week and see if it's one of the chips. Actually I'd
>pull two or even three at a time!!! You may have a bit of a slow down b/c of
>the 256 MB RAM *but* b/c of the one chip you'll be pushing the CPU harder
>than normal and be able to see if it's the CPU.

but if it was ram, it would be buggy all the time. It's not. Only
when I run certain combos of programs. After I do my reinstall of the
OS (if I ever get around to it), and I still have these problems, the
ram is something to think about.

>I'm still partial to blaming the RAM *unless* your kernel panic logs have
>*repeatable* error message. From everything that I gather *random* panics
>are more often than not symptomatic of bad RAM.

hmm, this is something to look at.

>the brightness is
>  > at 0% and the contrast at 30% if I go any duller I wont be seeing
>>  anything. That's why I cant use an LCD... toooooo bright even at the
>>  lowest setting. I always liked passive matrix laptop screens... much
>>  duller!
>
>You'd hate my monitors and LCDs. I have brightness usually maxed out and
>absolutely *love* LCDs (they're so easy on the eyes).
>
>Do you compute in complete darkness? If I had brightness set to 0% my
>monitors would be black.

Well, no, but I guess it is dull.... I dont like bright lights,
unless they're bright white LED lights for my bikes.
Under flourescent lights this montior setting would seem unreadable,
but under my dull lights, or during daylight hours, it's just fine.

Whenever I buy a monitor, the main thing I look for these days is HOW
dull can it go! lol

>>  Well, I think it is software... why? bc I have a whole bunch of
>>  weirdo hacks installed in the OS, and also things like PCIextreme,
>>  which I know has made things more unstable.
>
>I guess in that case you shouldn't be claiming that OS X is unstable ;). I
>have a question for you: "why?" (especially PCIextreme)?

PCIExtreme bc it's the only way to get Quartz Extreme w/o buying a new(er) mac.

>Hmm. You may want to check out your kernel panic logs. Do they have a
>consistent theme to them (&, yes IIRC Eudora is a buggy app).

Well, something to look at. ATM, I don't really know how. Any
suggestions for this?