[muglo] Re: VPC (was- Re: OS X Upgrade)

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:28:01 -0400

on 26/7/03 3:47 AM, Rich at lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Alex,
>
>> I tried both version 5 and 6 of VPC. IMO, both crap. Maybe it was X
>> that killed VPC's useability, but I still think Connectix could have
>> done more to work out these "glitches"
>
> Well USB issues I can get by.  I only need it for this one application,
> which I simply neeeeed to do.  Slow?  Well, I am buying 2 new Macs...not to
> run PC stuff quickly, that's for sure.  As long as it works.

Investigate your client (wish I could remember the name now... I'd do a
Google search to find out more myself) and see if there's a Mac version. If
it's a XWindows-based client (and is OSS) there's a reasonable chance that
someone's compiled a Mac OS X version of it. Apple has been working on a
remarkably refined implementation of XWindows for OS X that may be out of
the "beta" stage by now (FYI XWindows is the GUI underpinning for a lot of
Linux user interfaces like GNOME or KDE).

>> I wouldn't count on VPC in X to do much of anything.
>
> I should investigate the clients.

Chances are that for what you're wanting to do the client will work. It
shouldn't require any hardware tricks.

PS I'd be partial to running Windows 98 SE or 2000 under VPC -- XP has a
*lot* of GUI crap overhead and Win 98 SE and (especially) 2000 are pretty
damn stable OSes.

PSS Alex -- the reason OS X broke much of VPC's hardware support is that OS
X reserves a lot of the direct hardware access for itself -- this is why OS
X is now such a stable OS when compared to that nightmare, OS 9.1/9.2.2/8.6
(is it more stable than XP Pro?... although, at this stage it doesn't really
matter... they're both pretty robust OSes by now... Apple has the better
approach to interacting with users IONSHO (our substituted for my ;)).

And, from what I gather it's the multitasking in OS X that slows things down
since VPC *has* to give other apps their fair share of play time... but, no
one runs VPC for speed on Mac OS... We run it b/c we *have* to run a Windows
app.

Eric