[muglo] Re: VPC (was- Re: OS X Upgrade)

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:11:03 -0400

on 30/7/03 11:33 PM, Alex at admeddemda@xxxxxx wrote:

>> I guess in that case you shouldn't be claiming that OS X is unstable ;). I
>> have a question for you: "why?" (especially PCIextreme)?
>
> PCIExtreme bc it's the only way to get Quartz Extreme w/o buying a new(er)
> mac.

You have a Radeon 7000 (IIRC that's the only QE compatible PCI card that was
ever made)? Does QE make that much of a difference that it's worth
destabilising your system over? (since, I suspect that on a 550 MHz G4 the
speed gain from using QE will be negligible... now if you were still running
a G3/350 or something like that the instability might be worth it...)

 PCIExtreme is enabling a graphics system on a system that Apple never
intended to be used for QE... QE requires the ability to create textures
that are not "power of 2" to do its off screen magic... so, contrary the
complaints of some Mac pundits, it wasn't an Apple conspiracy to make old
computers obsolete but a technical impossibility that prevented Apple from
writing QE for earlier Macs (well, they did in a way since QE does with the
video card what Quartz did with CPU power) (most of the <32 MB video cards
don't have the ability to do non-power of 2 texture computations))?

>> Hmm. You may want to check out your kernel panic logs. Do they have a
>> consistent theme to them (&, yes IIRC Eudora is a buggy app).
>
> Well, something to look at. ATM, I don't really know how. Any
> suggestions for this?

Open up Apple System Profiler (if you don't know how to do this you
shouldn't be installing kernel-level hacks either ;) and go into the  logs
section and look for the panic log (can't remember its name).

FYI: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106228

Eric.