[muglo] Re: USB card on an 8500

  • From: r weaver <weaverrw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:41:02 -0400

Hi,

I've installed a Belkin 4 port USB card on my 8500/180 (System 9.1) and it
works - sometimes. If I insert a flash drive, an external floppy drive or a
hub one
or the other may appear on the desktop (these are the only USB components
I've tried so far). It doesn't seem to be reliably hot-swappable? If I hook
the floppy drive up to my iMac, (w/Panther) through a Macally 4 port hub, it
won't boot at all. I don't have the documentation or the power supply for
the hub, it is marked 5 volt dc. I'm using the 5 volt power supply from a
zip drive.
So far, I haven't been able to isolate the specific variable. Any ideas as
to what is occurring here? Is there something available like scsi probe or
some other workaround to avoid having to re boot the computer with each
change?
Thanks,

Bob