[muglo] Re: USB Printer

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:42:34 -0400

on 19/7/02 09:58, Tee Cashmore at tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Eric,
> Do you read some of these posts? Paul was after "a low cost second printer",
> which is certainly not in the $300-400 range. Then there is the fact that the
> Laser printers you mention are B & W.
> TTFN,
> TeeC

Yes, I do read them, and yes I do know lasers are B&W. Colour is fancy &
looks cute, but I've never seen a professional document come out of an
inkjet (people (even professional artists) do not use colour well).

All I was pointing out that, in case his "primary" printer was an inkjet
too, that lasers are "low cost" (by historical standards) -- I paid $415 for
my StyleWriter II & was very happy with it (it served me well and cheaply
for many years (refills were cheap and worked well with SW II cartridges).

Inkjets are now becoming so cheap that you can often buy one for less than
the cost of a cartridge. Cartridges on the other hand are anything *but*
cheap & cannot be easily refilled, so, you get what you pay for.

Pay $100 for your printer (300 pages on 1st cartridge), and expect to pay
$60 for every 300 pages you print. Pay $400 for your printer (2000 prints on
1st toner) and expect to pay $80 for every 3000 pages you print.

2000 laser pages = $400; 2100 inkjet pages = $100 + 6*$60 = $460.

5000 laser pages = $480; 5100 inkjet pages = $100 + 16*$60 = $1060.

Since we're Mac users we inherently understand such a principle (we pay one
hell of a premium for our computers but we get a much better "TCO" in terms
of our user experience).

Which brings me to grumbling about washers & driers -- N.A. top-loading
washing machines consume so much energy and waste so much water vs.
(predominately) European front-loaders yet we buy them like the Enron +
their crony, Bush/Alberta tar sands lemmings we are.

Pay a little more for your washer (front loader), reduce the wear and tear
on your clothes, save $ & environment with less water use, save $ &
environment by using less electricity (since only the fridge beats the
washer/dryer for energy consumption).

Not only is being environmentally destructive stupid and extremely
egotistical, it also makes no financial sense (of course, if you're Enron or
Alberta you'll love excessive energy consumption since that puts $$$ in your
big pockets).

Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>