[muglo] Re: UK

  • From: teresa sneddon <teresa.sneddon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:20:09 -0400

on 7/25/03 16:12, Eric D at hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> From: teresa sneddon <teresa.sneddon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> If I have this right its Eric that moving to the UK?
>> Why?
>
> My partner wanted to do something different after having lived in Toronto
> for the last 7 years (and three degrees) so we decided to give the UK a
> whirl (she wanted to go somewhere English speaking... I would've preferred
> Germany (her German is a lot better than mine) but that idea was nixed).
>
>> Sounds to me like he hates it already, or am I picking up the wrong
>> message.
>
> Absolutely wrong :). The only thing I am not looking forward to is the
> misery of perma-rain (and, maybe running into the odd pro-Blairite but it
> seems he's out of touch with the general populace anyway so...). Otherwise I
> think it'll be a lot of fun.
>
>> Iam from Edinburgh, and I have only lived in this country for 8 years, so
>> Iam still homesick!!
>
> I'm originally from Dunbar, but can't honestly say I'm homesick ;) (that was
> a few hunnerd years ago).
>
> I've got to go to Dunbar (if you're from Edinburgh there's a wee chance
> you'll know about the town) when we're there -- last time I was in Dunbar (&
> Edinburgh) will have been 20 years + a few months ago (damn, that was a long
> time ago).
>
>> But trust me, Iam sure you will love it, and I dont think we Brits are
>> backward just because some things are still imperial, its quite easy to
>> work
>> with both, once you get the hang of it, Iam in my early 50's, so they never
>> had metric when I went to school, but so far it has not caused me any
>> problems.
>
> The English are the backwards boors. The Scots are undeniably the better
> half of the kingdom <hehehehe... no apologies to any English, Irish or Welsh
> people on the list>
>
>> As for the UK, at the moment being where Canada was 10 years ago, I think
>> you are way off the mark.
>
> I just mean wrt the metric system. SI has been around a lot longer in Canada
> (30+ years now?) than in the UK (since stories were still coming out of
> London about switching to kg a few years ago). I suspect that our neighbours
> to the south will forever hold on to imperial just because Europe is metric
> (kind of ironic since they rebelled against the British and anything to do
> with the empire yet they'll be the last major vestige of imperial units).
> Mulroney's backbenchers (probably the same lot that changed their colours to
> become CRAP MPs;) quashed efforts in the late 80s to move Canada away from
> the last vestiges of the imperial system (one of the few things I would've
> given Mulroney credit for and he didn't succeed). Degrees C, kg and km have
> proved to be great successes regardless of age so there was little reason
> not to go all the way.
>
> Ah well, c'est la vie as the American authors say.

> [...]

Eric - hi, small world, I was in Dunbar when I was home last August. My
husband's brother and wife live there!!!
Town centre has not changed a bit, a little run down actually. But lots of
new housing, as its within commutting distance of Edinburgh, and there is a
big difference in house prices. The fish suppers are very very good though.
And the song 'O Flower of Scotland' is not about the thistle, its about a
battle with the English!!!
Weather has not been too bad over there recently, at least there is no
hummidity, so bonus.

Teresa