[muglo] Re: Time Capsule

  • From: Mary Read <m.k.read@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:47:14 -0400

That's the whole point, Wayne. I am not touching, disturbing, or otherwise
interfering with the operation of the hard drive. Time Machine just thinks I
am. I'm not willy nilly powering down -- I boot my Mac at 6:00 am every morning
and work on it all day. I unplug and shut down absolutely nothing until my
bedtime.

I am being unfairly chastised, should that be the case. I treat my Mac like the
precious gem it is.

On 2011-10-31, at 3:39 PM, Wayne Dobson wrote:

> Finder is chastising you for a reason... Are you unplugging the drive or
> shutting it off before Finder can say goodbye? Treat the backup drive as any
> other storage device, ie: un-mount properly before disconnecting.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 31, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Mary Read <m.k.read@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> At last I have something that's on-topic! Although I'm afraid it's not
>> commentary -- it's another request for help. I'm hoping someone in the group
>> will be familiar with the Time Capsule/external drive glitch I'm
>> experiencing, or be able to point me in the right direction to resolution.
>> I've already gone through Apple Care for assistance, but the problem
>> persists.
>>
>> I've got two backup systems in place: a Western Digital 2TB USB drive using
>> Carbon Copy Clone for archiving only my working files, plus a second HD
>> (Seagate USB 2TB) that uses Time Machine to back up my whole system. Both
>> HDs are plugged directly into main USB ports on my iMac 27", since I
>> understand that a hub can make externals unhappy.
>>
>> The CCC backup works very well, but the Seagate drive with Time Machine
>> sends me an error message at least once every hour saying:
>>
>>  "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before
>> unplugging it or turning it off."
>>
>> I check on my desktop and the icon for the HD is there, so it has not
>> unmounted. Time Machine completes its routine despite the warning --
>> although not hourly as I've set its preferences, but here and there as it
>> feels so inclined. I take this to mean that sometimes it finds the external
>> HD, and sometimes does not. I can live with less frequent backups, but I am
>> very keen to get rid of that very pesky finder warning. It interrupts my
>> work at the most inopportune times.
>>
>> I've reformatted the Seagate drive twice, just to see if that would help.
>> Nada. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Mary
>>

>> On 2011-10-31, at 12:56 PM, Frank BIrch wrote:
>>
>>> Excuse me for butting in but:-
>>>
>>> Remember that Time Capsule is a single point of failure. The odds your
>>> system would go down with the Time Capsule are not great but if it was a
>>> massive power spike, that your surge protector could not handle, then you
>>> are toast.
>>

>> Mary Read
>> http://www.maryread.com

Mary Read