[muglo] Re: Storm Protection

On 15-Jun-04, at 12:58 PM, Eric D wrote:

> <http://www.google.com/search?=20
> =
q=3Dinstall+lightning+protection+at+the+entry+point+to+a+building&ie=3DUTF=
-=20
> [...]

> react in
> a very short time, usually from micro- (1/1,000,000) to nano-
> (1/1,000,000,000) seconds. You must manually reset the protector each =20=

> time
> it is tripped. Costs range from $10 to $100 for five outlets on the =20=

> strip.
> More electrically handy people put dual transorbs and metal oxide =20
> varistors
> (MOVs) between the power lines and the point of entry to the house. =20=

> Note:
> Don=92t attempt this yourself, unless you really know what you=92re =
doing;
> otherwise, call in a professional.
>
> Transorbs are components that carry current after a certain voltage is
> exceeded. This is called the trip voltage. The transorb keeps the =20
> voltage
> between the two lines at a set voltage and won=92t allow it to go any =20=

> higher.
> This prevents your appliances from being damaged by the application of =
=20
> too
> great a voltage at their inputs. Transorbs can absorb a lot of current =
=20
> but
> turn on more slowly than MOVs. They are rated in the number of =20
> kilovolts
> that they can handle. Never use a smaller-rated unit than 1.5 kV. The =20=

> 5kV
> units are good all around choices to maximize protection and minimize =20=

> cost.
> Most power grids, or power distribution systems, have voltage =20
> variations of
> 10% - 20%. This means that a 110V grid can vary between 88V and 132V, =20=

> so
> rate the trip voltage for the transorbs at least 30% above the =20
> nominal, or
> rated normal voltage, for your grid. Make sure that you use the type =
of
> transorbs for AC (alternating current) lines.
>
> MOVs react very quickly to surges but have the tendency to allow the =20=

> voltage
> between power lines to get further apart. In other words, they don=92t =
=20
> clamp
> well if the inputs vary slowly. Their operational characteristics =20
> specify
> the normal voltage applied to them. As with transorbs, specify the
> operational voltage at least 30% over the nominal grid voltage.
>
> MOVs and transorbs are placed between individual power lines. And it=92s=
 =20
> worth
> saying again: Don=92t attempt this if you are unsure or unfamiliar =
with
> electricity. Remember always put SAFETY FIRST."

Interesting reading to be sure, Eric.

Because of reading what you referred us to, I have added my phone line =20=

to my munltifunction machine (the fax part) through my Panamax Surge =20
protector that is providing protection for my computer set up.  The 8 =20=

outlet Panamax Surge protector I have has a telephone connection and =20
also a cable connection ... it has been replaced once at no charge to =20=

me as I had a telephone Panamax Surge protector when I set up my first =20=

computer.  (Thanks to Terry and you for insisting that I buy this.)  =20
When the protector was replaced ... thank goodness it caught the surge =20=

and none of my computer stuff was damaged ... I purchased the cable box =20=

too.

Glad to be learning more as I go along.

Susan

           http://muglo.on.ca/Pages/joinus.html