[muglo] Re: Storm Protection

  • From: Theresa Roth <theresaroth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:29:05 -0400

> With all the storms that we have had recently - and who knows for the
> future!! - is it necessary to turn off the power, unplug the supply
> and/or disconnect the telephone line to the modem?  It seems these days
> that people leave their computers on in storms!!  Perhaps they are more
> robust now?
>
> Paul

I left mine on as I¹ve never had a problem.  I do have a $35 powerbar which
I¹m not sure if it¹s also a surge protector.  Here¹s what happened:  My old
TV got cooked (straight horizontal line), my water heater fried, my furnace
merely shut off, a cordless phone fried and I was without phone service for
48 hours.  My Mac is ok but the phone jacks in the powerbar are fried. I
assume the powerbar protected my Mac from surges both through the electrical
and phone lines.  But now, I can¹t use the phone jacks in the powerbar and
must plug the Mac into the wall directly.  I¹m unsure of whether this will
prevent surges and/or damages in the future.

Theresa