[muglo] Re: Reinstall Quicktime

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 18:34:18 -0400

On 9-Oct-05, at 1:30 PM, Bob McDaniel wrote:

> Great idea, Doug! While I back up working files, applications,
> correspondence, etc., it has never occurred to me to back up the
> system.
> Does that mean backing up the system folder? When re-installing
> does one
> then simply install over the existing folder?
> Would you please elaborate?

  :-) mmm What Tee said....

I've actually never bothered. I used to keep a copy of the last
functioning OS9 install on a CD and dragged back whatever I thought
was causing the problems.

I have been thinking of doing an OS backup to the iPod. Haven't
gotten around to it. Never been able to balance between the paranoia
that the thing will crash ( I can just restore from CD's , Disk
Warrior, and web ) and going merrily along doing periodic maintenance.

I suppose you should in the future, should you be more paranoid, just
add the System Folder to your backup routine. As to restoring, well,
never having done a backup, and never having needed to restore from a
backup, I would suspect that it would just require copying over the
suspect good bits to replace the suspect bad bits.

  There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
__________<http://home.golden.net/~samu>__________