[muglo] Registering a domain name

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 10:00:44 -0400

Hello ya'll, I'm delving into the world of domain name registrations.

I'm trying to get my own family name but it seems there's a little bit of a
hitch with a .bc.ca registration (I need their permission to get the .ca
version).

Anyway, to find out if you can register a name in .ca go to http://www.ca
(CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority).

Then, if your domain name is available, you can go to a registrar (they
provide a list for you to explore). I just used
<http://www.registeryour.ca/> because they're cheap ($24.50 + tax/year) and
they actually provide *service* for a basic domain name registration (unlike
places that charge $50 simply for a name) (based in Don Mills, ON).

There was another place I checked out but didn't go with,
<http://CanadianRegister.ca/> based in Kingston, ON who looked like a decent
outfit ($25.95/year).

And, the cheapest I saw (which I found after I registered with the other)
was <http://www.domainsatcost.ca/> for $19.95/year (I found these because
that's what the University of Toronto used to register all their domain
names (and they have hundreds, if not thousands that they track)).

(Domains At Cost may actually provide a certain level of service for that
$20/year + tax)

Anyway, what RegisterYour.ca provides is domain name forwarding to either an
IP address/domain (all registrars do this) or to a web page (only some as
far as I understand). They also have something about e-mail but I haven't
figured that out yet (I still need to get my own computer set up as a mail
server, or have to see if I can piggyback off the botany department's mail
server somehow).

This is what my experiment is to date: http://www.koehl.ca (my girlfriend's
surname) and I have it pointing to
http://www.geocities.com/vkoehl/sleepy.html. I should change the DN
forwarding option to point to ../vkoehl/ because anything such as
http://www.koehl.ca/index.html actually point to
../vkoehl/sleepy.html/index.html (I could always turn sleepy.html into a
directory but I think it'd be more practical to point to ../vkoehl/

PS Why would you want a domain name? So you can have your very own URL, and
so you can have an e-mail address that's your very own, to share with no
one, your family, or your family and friends (which is why I'm trying to get
my surname) [provided you have an e-mail server or purchase such a service].

Eric

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>