[muglo] Re: Re cleaners etc.

  • From: Scott Strawbridge <scotts1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 12:41:37 -0400

I purchased a Crucial M550 512 GB drive for my 2012 15” non-retina MacBook pro
last year that I have been quite happy with. I’ve been eying a 1TB Crucial SSD,
but have not been able to justify the price of one plus a backup drive yet.

The thing I like about the Crucial drives is that they have built-in, operating
system agnostic Garbage Collection on the drive.
You do not need to enable trim on these drives, just ensure you uncheck “Put
hard Disks to sleep when possible” in Energy Saver System Prefs to ensure the
Garbage Collection does its thing.

Make sure you do your research on how enabling trim will affect a particular
drive.
If you have admin privileges, you can do a terminal command to enable it in
10.10.4 “sudo trimforce enable” and you get a big scary warning about doing so.
Some specific drives may have data loss if you do this.
——

JPEG image

Scott Strawbridge | Graphic Artist
scotts1@xxxxxxx <mailto:scotts1@xxxxxxx>

Scott Strawbridge Creative
scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.scottstrawbridge.com <http://www.scottstrawbridge.com/>
iPhone: 519.474.2754
Twitter: @scotts1

On Jul 3, 2015, at 12:26 PM, Frank <mfbmeb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank everyone for the feedback.

I have a mid 2010 MBP with 500 GB HD.
I am going to upgrade HD, I currently have a black 7200 drive, to 1TB.

Now that it appears Apple will support Trim on the next OS X release I am
considering a Samsung 1 TB EVO or PRO (if I can justify the additional cost).

I reply do not want to replace the MBP and without Thunderbolt, external
drives are a wee bit slow.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Frank