[muglo] Re: Problems burning CDs

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:19:22 -0400

>On 17-Oct-04, at 7:59 PM, Kathryn-Jane Hazel wrote:
>
> > Dear Muglo-ites:
> >
> > I wrote to you last about my son using my computer to transfer his
> > songs to an IPod.
> >
> > Well, that plan has run into problems - his IMac won't let him burn CDs
> > anymore.  When he tries to do it, he gets a message, "unable to
> > complete task due to unknown error."
> >
> > It isn't the CDs themselves; he checked using ones from a different
> > package and brand.
> >
> > He has an IMac with OS 9.1, bought in 2001, and has been able to burn
> > CDs by the score until now.  Is this a hardware or a software problem?
> >
> > Is it time to get him a new computer, or can this be fixed?  Everything
> > else works.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Kathryn

Kathryn, as Biti suggested,

Re-install OS 9.1 and then (free) upgrade to 9.2.2!

OS 9 is notorious for corruption. Just like with Windows 98 or ME you should
re-install OS 9 every 6 to 9 months to keep things fresh.

A friend of mine was running an iMac 266 (bought new) and bought a new
computer (Windows) last fall because his iMac "wasn't up to snuff" anymore -
it was highly unstable and lots of softwares had stopped working. He hadn't
re-installed the OS since it had been repaired in 2000!!!

Chances are this'll fix the problem. In my experience with Mac hardware and
software, hardware is rarely at fault in OS 9 (or, maybe buying used means
that I only buying quality stuff ;)!

>identical type; I assume it's a slot loader. It may be cheaper to buy a
>newer computer if you have to buy it from an Apple dealer & have them
>fix it, but they won't give you much for a used iMac, depending on
>model etc.

It'd be a lot cheaper to buy a replacement slot-loading CD-RW than to
replace the iMac (certainly under $70 or $80 for a slot-loader... check our
Sonnam Computer or Canada Computers on-line (Google them))!

>An alternative is an external usb burner, $150 or less, it's  little
>slow at USB 1, but it works. I just got an external case from Costco &
>installed a DVD/CD Burner. Big advantage is that it is USB 2 & one can
>put a hard drive etal inside the case. Total cost $180.

If the iMac has a CD-RW it has FireWire!!! No messing with USB (2). I just
picked up a Yamaha FW CD-RW for <$100!

Eric.