[muglo] Re: OS X Upgrade

  • From: Rich <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Submit MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:00:58 -0400

Eric D,

> Umm. Umm. Umm. If you're doing networking I would suggest you spring for 6
> (check with Microsoft to see what their plans are for supporting G5 and
> 10.3). 5 had some networking switch problem (that I wish VPC would stop
> warning me about everytime I open it... don't figure it's worth $200 to fix
> a little annoyance like that without a speed increase to go with... doubt
> they can get much more speed out that little app... the only thing that'll
> help in that dep't is a faster CPU).

Honestly, just want it to work.  If that is the result, then I'll buy it.
Not worried about speed, etc.  I'll be using VPC formally on my 1 GHz TiBook
which I don't have yet.  Laptop scenario.

> For the most part VPC plays nice with networking protocols. Sometimes you
> may have to force your Mac to give up control over TCP/IP and allow Windows
> to set up TCP/IP itself (to access the Novell 3.1 network drive from VPC I
> had to turn off TCP/IP on the Mac side and use Windows' TCP/IP stack but
> that was a long time ago... now I simply use OS X Classic Chooser to login
> to the server (OS X doesn't play nice with the server natively but
> forutunately it lets Classic out to play) and share the mounted image with
> VPC through the Finder).

I won't have Classic running at all.  I don't like it.  Don't need it.  I
think you lost me here.

> PS You may want to find out if there's a Mac solution to "Sabre" (whatever
> it may be).

As I understand it, it's a windows emulation kind of thing, hence the VPC
thing.  I should investigate if there is a client for Sabre, but I doubt it.

Cheers

--- Rich Fortnum / Viaduct Productions / Toronto (EST)
--- Interactive Web Design / Databases / Wireless Data
--- http://www.viaduct-productions.com