[muglo] Re: OS 9.1

>From: Paul Thomas <paulthomas@xxxxxxx>
>Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:25:44 -0400
>
>I have just recently acquired OS 9.1 with the iBook.
>
>Does anyone know if there is an update for this - I was given cards to
>acquire free updates?  Also is there a screen saver with it which I could
>not find? Or does one use a Sleep function?

Believe it or not but Apple released 9.2.1 today! Getting any information
from Apple on it seems to be virtually impossible (probably a tonne of
people d/l today) though. I imagine those free update coupons apply to OS X.
Your iBook didn't come with OS X?

As for screen savers... OS 9.x does not come with a built in screen saver.
And, you're correct, that's covered by the sleep function -- really
important on a portable computer. The only reason I can see for running a
screen saver is as security. Nearly all monitors are Energy Star compliant
so most monitors should go to sleep to conserve energy (and prevent image
burn) after 15-30 minutes of inactivity. OS X on the other hand does have a
screen saver (with a password protection option). Amusingly I have the
screen saver kick in *after* the monitor goes to sleep (I would be happier
if the sleep function simply had a built in screen saver).

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>