[muglo] Re: New copyright legislation

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:19:50 -0400

These are all legitimate scenarios and no one should object. Why would the site store this data once you left the site? I remember having a commercial web site tracked for hits. You could see where your business was coming from: 30% Cdn IPs, 40% US, etc. But, once the graphs were made up, do the individual IPAs need to be recorded? Can you direct junk mail via an IP address?

On Jun 4, 2010, at 9:05 AM, Gerhard Kuhn wrote:

Anonymity is a myth on the Internet. When you visit a web site they know your IP address, the browser used, the version of that browser, your OS and the version of that OS and who knows they may even know your shoe size. In general this information is needed to make for a better browsing experience as some sites are optimized for certain browsers and may direct you to another page if you are using OS X rather than XP for example. I believe that there are ways to hide this info but it has never been high enough a priority for me to put any effort into.

Gerhard

Wayne Dobson
pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx
(519) 474-1253 res.