[muglo] Re: New copyright legislation

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:04:47 -0400

The new legislation will force them to turn over names. A torrent site records the IP address of everyone who uses it? Why, and for how long?

On Jun 4, 2010, at 8:01 AM, Gerhard Kuhn wrote:

Getting the IP address is easy associating it with a name is were they need the Internet providers help, I think most providers would want a court order to make that available.

Gerhard
gerhardk@xxxxxxx

On Jun 4, 2010, at 7:50 AM, Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Most won't get to court: For a $1,000 fine, it doesn't make sense to hire a $10,000 lawyer, so most will settle out of court. My concern is how they obtained the IP addresses of the downloaders. Might be a good

Wayne Dobson
pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx
(519) 474-1253 res.
(519) 860-2725 cell