[muglo] Mac Startup

  • From: Paul Thomas <paul_thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO List <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:03:51 -0400

My recently acquired second hand computer, a 20" iMac running under
OSX 10.4.11, has just developed, after a few months, an annoying
startup problem:

When I start up the computer, it starts black as normal, then goes
blue and then the Apple symbol appears followed by the usual small
whirling bars; this lasts for a short time and then it shuts down
with a short clicking sound...  If I then start up again, usually all
goes well and the startup completes it's cycle... though occasionally
the first startup repeats and the third attempt works normally...

There has always been a peculiar volume problem from the start in
which the volume dropped to zero at about the half way point... I had
this checked under the 30-day warranty and was told that it was ok
which struck me as odd but I could live with it... but wonder now if
there is any connection?

Could this be a hardware or software problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Paul