[muglo] Re: Leading Zeros in Browser

  • From: Lee Dickey <Lee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:59:13 -0400

This might have nothing to do with the browser, but with the way numbers
are massaged by the form itself.  If the author of the form did not make
provision for the entry of characters, but made the assumption that only
numbers would be entered, then any number of the type "0n" will of
course
be treated as just "n".

This brings me to one of my pet peeves.  The other day I needed to enter
my phone number into a form.  The feeble minded programmer that wrote
the
form insisted that I remove all blanks and hyphens from the data I
entered.
If he is so bloody compulsive about the way he stores the numeric
information,
that is his business alone, and he should not force me to enter it that
way.  I don't care how he stores the information I hand across.  He may
quietly strip away the blanks and hyphens and not bother to tell me
about
it, but he should allow me to enter the data any way I find it
convenient
to remember and present it.

The same point applies to certain other important numbers
in ones life, which one might from time to time type on a computer
keyboard.

Lee