[muglo] Re: Laser printer for iBook original, OS 9.2.2

  • From: Larry Kryski <spellboundpub@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:19:05 -0500

Hi Leith,

3 1/2 year old brothers=8A they're all the same!!!  :-)

I came across a photo-copier site about 18 months ago that talked about
photo-copier jamming. This was an ex-service tech and his assertions was
that "all" jamming (unless there was a mechanical failure [wear and tear??]=
)
could be traced to what he referred to as "cheap or bad" paper stock. Make
sure you have paper with long grain and not short grain [grain going the
length of the paper, which resists bending, rather than grain that goes
across the paper]. Most copier paper sold in local shops is long grain.

I have no idea if this would apply to laser printers or not, but it might b=
worth checking out. Also, paper is very sensitive to moisture effects. Unti=
it is used, it should be kept in its original shipping wrapper, which on
more expensive brands at least is specially formulated to resist humidity
penetration. If your paper is less expensive or has been unwrapped for a
while, then this may aggravate your jamming issue.

Don't know if this helps or not, but thought I'd toss it in just in case.

Larry

On 04/10/31 12:36 PM, "Leith Peterson" <lpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been having a frustrating time with my 3 1/2 year old Brother
> printer HL 1240.  It keeps jamming; it's been particularly bad for
> the past year or so.  London Business Machines cleaned it but it
> didn't make any difference, so the LBM rep phoned Brother and they
> finally traced it down to a defect in models produced before Apr
> 1999.  After a few weeks, the LBM rep finally got the specs from
> Brother to make an alteration, made it, and I picked it up Friday.
> Tried it Friday evening and it's still jamming, so I'll phone LBM
> about it tomorrow (they're not open on the weekends).  I can only
> print 1 to 2 pages at a time and then it jams.
>=20
> I'm getting to the point that I'm ready to give up on this printer
> altogether.  Does anyone have any recommendations for usb laser
> printers to work with an iBook original, running 9.2.2?  Staples has
> a great sale on right now til November 9, on HP, Epson and Lexmark.
> Some of them are three in ones--printer, copier and scanner.  Any
> recommendations?  I have Staples coupons for October through January
> that gives me $20 off on $100 that I spend.  Also Staples will match
> any competing store's lower price--at least they did that about eight
> months ago.  I found a lower price at a competing store and they
> matched it.
>=20
> So, pls let me know.  Thanks.
>=20