[muglo] Internet Speed tests

  • From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:22:37 -0400

We seem to get frequent discussion on connection speeds and their
inconsistency.

Earlier today I stumbled on www.dslreports.com, ran the test a few times and
discovered my Rogers connection pretty consistent in the 944Kbps download
and 174kbps upload.

What I found pretty neat was that I could enter my results as "Muglo" under
the ISP and also my postal code "n2b1w7". I'm not sure if this will create a
table, but if a few others try, perhaps we can all help each other in
establishing if our individual connections are over/under performing. For
example, my test places me about 250th of all reported "Rogers" users and it
seems that all ahead of me are "K", "M" or "L" postal codes where Rogers is
upgrading the cable modem to a new brand... Now I have a reason to yell at
them!

If the site won't build the table for us then I'll happily fill in the
results you send on the attached excel sheet. (I'm also quite happy to
direct this sheet to to the MUGLO site if someone can tell me how and will
post it for those worried about message size and older 28.8 or less modems.

For the purposes of consistency, I suggest running the test 3 times
consecutively and reporting your average results in download and upload.
Dslreports have two servers you can use for the test, Megapath and LinkLine.
I found LinkLine more available for access.

Garth.

-- Type: application/x-msexcel
-- File: muglo cnnxn speed.xls