[muglo] Re: Inatalling Windows XP on MacBook Pro w/Mac OS 10.6.4

  • From: Dean Danis <dean_danis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:16:39 -0400

Hello Bob,

This may seem like a dumb question, but why do you need to use Boot Camp?
Normally I would only suggest using that if you need to run a Windows OS that
needs to take full advantage of the hardware. Like for playing games. If you
are planning on using Windows for email, or Microsoft Office, then I would
suggest using VirtualBox instead. It's free and works very will. It will run
Windows 7 in a virtual environment inside your Mac OS. It's the best of both
worlds rather than having to restart the computer into Windows.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Dean

Dean Danis
519-494-8639
90 Caprice Cr.

London Ontario

N5V 3M2

From: rmcdaniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [muglo] Re: Inatalling Windows XP on MacBook Pro w/Mac OS 10.6.4
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:15:08 -0400
To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Dean. Problem now in Disk Utility is to select a disk (drive) where
"Partition" shows and Volume Scheme and Volume Information boxes are not greyed
out.  After sitting awhile another entry appears below Macintosh HD and my
optical drive: Bob McDaniel's MacBook Pro, and indented below, time capsule
backups. I sure don't want to erase the backups!
It also says that the currently selected  disk (200.05 GB FUJITSU MMY 22) is
the start-up disk and it cannot be erased. BTW when I select "Macintosh HD" the
"Partition" button does not appear.Bob

On 2010-06-28, at 7:16 AM, Dean Danis wrote:Once you partition a drive ALL data
will be lost on it. Disk Utility will format the drive for you once
partitioned. Review your time machine backup to make sure that important data
is backed up before proceeding.

Game on: Challenge friends to great games on Messenger
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9734387