[muglo] Re: Help!!!

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:10:29 -0400

marilyn medcalf wrote:

> I have a problem. My husband and I both have computers - Macintosh, of
> course. I have an iMac - the Blueberry one, and my husband has a G3. Re the
> Internet, I upgraded to Internet Explorer 5 and Outlook Express 5.02. Since
> I had the installers on my machine I copied them to a an Iomega Disk so I
> could install them on my husband's machine. it seemed the installation went
> okay, but the information did not get transferred from his old Outlook
> Express to the newer version. We had a bit of a problem when installing, so
> we dumped the old program with all the info on it, and when we tried to
> retrieve it to see if we could transfer the info, we culdn't. We kept
> getting a message that the Outlook Express could not be opened because the
> Alias could not be found. Anyway, it seems that we have lost that info from
> what I can see. Also it looks like we will have to go back to the server and
> set up the Email again, as at the moment we can't send any messages from his
> machine, but that is a minor problem. The question is - as we did not empty
> the Trash yet where the old Outlook Express is, I was wondering if anyone
> had any idea how and/or if we can retrieve it. Any help would be
> appreciated. Perhaps the best thing might be for us to just forget it and
> start all over again - just install the newer programs and let it go at
> that. Any ideas???
>
> Marilyn Medcalf

Hi,
    Methinks your looking in the wrong place. Not sure what "Info" you're
looking for, but imagine it's email addresses, Bookmarks etc. If so, look in
the system folder, preferences folder. you should find the info there; I use
Netscape so not sure of exact location, but they all work in a similar vein.
Once you've located what you want, you should be able to simply "import" it
into the newer version.
    Next time you update, use the "Smart Update" feature, it works for you, not
against you. HTH.
TTFN,
TeeC

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>