[muglo] Re: Hang up!!

  • From: Larry Kryski <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:09:46 -0400

If you don't run your Mac on a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) which will
filter brown outs and high voltage spikes that travel along the power lines,
you will actually stress your Mac less over the years by shutting it off at
night.

Voltage spikes can, at times, "flip bits" as well as stress some components,
which although they may not fail immediately, can weaken over time.

I've been shutting my Macs off nightly since 1984 and have never experienced
a hard drive failure and have only had two hardware failures since then
(both power supplies).

Keep in mind, Apple builds very robust machines and most will drop out of
service because of updated technology before they fail for other reasons.

Larry

On 4/11/07 12:26 AM, "Tee Cashmore" <teecashmore@xxxxxx> wrote:

> As to turning computers on & off, there are 2 schools of thought.
> Leaving it constantly on makes for less wear & tear on the hard drive
> & some utilities may run overnight, as Gerhard stated.
> The Nay sayers claim it uses too much electricity & that turning off
> allows the hard drive to cool down.
> In sleep mode the CPU, HD & Monitor use very small amounts of power.
> I turn mine off out of habit, rather than choice, as previous Apples
> did have heat issues & old CRT monitors were very prone to "burn in".
> The choice is somewhat unclear.
> TTFN,    TeeC

Larry Kryski
Spell Bound Publishing