[muglo] Re: FW: <no subject>

on 24/7/02 11:06, Frank Prothero at prothero@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi.
> I have an Imac and a  LaCie CD burner which is about two years old but has
> had very sparing use- about a dozen CDs. It has worked fine until now. When
> I start it up and open Adaptec Toast, the computer says it can't find the
> writer and to check cables, power etc. There does not seem to be any problem
> with the cable connection. A month or more ago my Imac crashed and wouldn't
> even give me the opening smile and to rectify that I had to reinstall
> software which seemed to correct everything. I have reinstalled the software
> for Adaptec Toast and can't see anything wrong or missing there. If anybody
> has any suggestions, I would much appreciate the help.
> Thank you.
> Frank Prothero.

Questions:
(1) Which *version* of Toast are you using? And, did it come with the burner
(I'm guessing) or did you buy it separately?

(2) which version of the OS are you using?

(3) Did you do a "clean install" of the OS when you re-installed? And, if
so, did you copy any files back into it from your old System Folder?

(4) What iMac do you have (Rev A/B/C, Slot loading, DV/DV SE, Summer 2000)?

(5) What LaCie burner do you have? 2/2/4 USB? A FireWire drive (don't expect
so because of the age of the drive)?

(6) Does Apple System Profiler recognise the LaCie burner?

Comments:
(1) Depending on what OS you're running you should be updated to a
reasonably current version:

If you're running 8.5 or 8.5.1 update to 8.6 (*free* download from
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60283>).

If you're running 9.0.0-9.0.3 update to *at least* 9.0.4
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60791>, if not 9.1
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75103> or 9.2.2
<http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html>.

(2) If you re-installed Toast from CD, you should ensure that you're running
the latest available update for your version (i.e. if you have Toast 4.0 you
should be running 4.1). Check <http://www.toast.com> for the latest update
available for your version (3.81 for 3.8, 4.1.2 (?) for 4.x, 5.1.3 for 5.x).
Note that certain versions of Toast are incompatible with different versions
of the OS -- for example, it seems to me that 3.8 is incompatible with 8.5.1
(I can't remember for sure) but is with 8.5 or 8.6 (don't quote me on it).

I remember trying to burn CDs with my LaCie USB 2/2/4 on a Rev A iMac (1998)
-- I would make an offering to the gods, do a rain dance, offer a World
Youth Day participant as a sacrifice (Toronto is being overrun by them (as
is the CBC radio :( [well, Ok, I guess I would've been doing some time
travel there to be able to sacrifice one ;) since this was two years ago],
practice controlled breathing, and, THEN I would start the burn process (all
the ritual sacrifices to be continued during the burn itself).

I'd select the files I wanted burned and save the little description file.
*Then*, I would turn off the burner, restart in OS 8.6, turn on the burner
after the memory check was over, and let the machine boot. I'd wait at least
10 seconds after the Finder appeared before opening the Toast document. Then
I'd click burn, walk out of the room and try not to jostle *anything* in the
house.

9 times out of 10 this would work (USB, OS 8.6 and 9.0.<4 seemed to be
extremely unstable for CD burning). Toast 5.0 and OS 9.1 seem to have
improved the burn stability markedly but the USB burner was just too flaky
(my IDE CD-RW seems to do a *far* better job than the LaCie ever did).

Eric.

going to <http://www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>

                   http://muglo.on.ca/