[muglo] Re: Do you still have my old address? (virus question)

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:33:57 -0400

on 6/7/04 4:52 PM, doug rogers at dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi. This is being sent to all the addresses in my address book.
>
>My old address 'samu@xxxxxxxxxx' continues to be used for transmission of
>Viruses. It *may* yet be possible that someone still has that address in
>their address book, and also has a Virus which is being spread.
>
>Most viruses trapped in my ISP's VirusGuard filter are sourced from
>overseas, Italy, mostly, but many are being returned from local businesses,
>and Ontario business, to the 'samu' address.
>
>I am asking again that you check that 1) my old address no longer exists in
>your address books, and 2) that you be certain that your system is clean of
>viruses.
>
>Yes, Mac users, Microsoft email products *can* transmit PC viruses, though
>they do not affect your Mac OS. They might be a .vcf or .exe attachment.

That statement needs a bit of clarity (sorely lacking from the political
circus that is the election... fortunately we'll be looking at an election
in another few months after whatever minority gov't falls without Paul
Martin gumming up the Liberal's chances of keeping the looney toons at bay).

_Only_ Windows-based Microsoft e-mail products can automatically transmit
Windows viruses. Mac-based MS e-mail apps are impervious to Windows viruses
as are all non-MS e-mail apps.

The only way _any_ Mac e-mail apps can re-transmit Windows viruses is if the
user ACTIVELY and INTENTIONALLY does it (either by setting up a script or
manually forwarding it).

>Removing my address ensures that it will no longer be used to spread
>viruses (which I would certainly favour), but won't stop the virus from
>using other addresses. PC users, please keep your Virus protection utility
>up to date.
>
>><http://home.golden.net/~samu>                 <
>>There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.  <

It's possible that a spammer has managed to get your e-mail address(es) and
has an infected computer themselves (the English language really needs a
gender-neutral form of himself/herself that is not itself).

Eric.

Free yourself from those irritating pop-up ads with MSn Premium. Get 2months
FREE*