[muglo] Re: Cable/DSL Router

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:37:12 -0500

on 20/12/01 8:45, Ken Davis at kpdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I want to share my high-speed internet access among several Macintosh
> computers, one of which is to be a web server.
>
> I'm told I need a router and a hub (Linksys, which I've discovered is
> not Mac user-friendly, was suggested). Can anyone recommend a more
> suitable router?

Give Terry at Terry's Tech Service (519-294-0648) a call. He'll be able to
recommend and provide a good solution.

BTW All routers/hubs are Mac-compatible. Just make sure that you can control
it through telnet or http. If you do a Google search for "best router for
Mac" or "how to share cable modem on Mac" you'll get relevant hits!

Amusingly enough there are Mac users that love Linksys .
<http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/1940.html>

Linksys' router + Mac installation instructions (courtesy MacWorld)
<http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5>

For general info check out:
<http://www.macworld.com/2000/08/reviews/routers.html>
<http://www.macworld.com/2000/12/01/howto/router.html>

<http://www.atpm.com/network/add_network/share_modem/hardware.html> for
hardware routers. Note that the prices are out of date but the info should
still be relevant.

Also, check out: <http://www.threemacs.com/network/> (1.1 MB download of a
networking help site)

L8r, Eric.