[muglo] CD-RW

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 18:01:21 -0400

Hi ya'll, I just picked up a Sony 24/10/40 IDE CD-RW (CRX175A1)
<http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso> for a grand
total of $86.25 ($75 + tax). It boots my machine (B&W G3) fine & I'm going
to be experimenting with it as a burner soon. It seems quieter than the 32X
CD-ROM that was in my B&W G3, Apple's OS X 10.1.5 says it supports the
24/10/40, and Toast 5.1.3 claims it has Buffer Underrun Prevention (the
place I bought it from said it had "Burn Proof technology" but I have a
suspicion they're different).

It took me *longer* to actually find a screwdriver (I seem to have misplaced
mine), and read the instructions (available on-line at www.XLR8yourmac.com)
than it did to install the CD-RW (it was sooooooo easy that *anyone* could
do it (well, OK the B&W and G4 towers are probably the easiest personal
computers in the history of computing to open and upgrade).

The one initial comment I have is that the strange "tray" solution Apple
created for the B&W is a little "stiff" (but it fits Ok).

PS CD burners are dropping in price *fast*. This 24/10/40 was close to $200
at the beginning of the year.

Eric.

(damn, there are some pretty dumb @#$!! calling into Cross Country Checkup
today... some guy mistaking international condemnation/disgust with Israel's
behaviour for anti-Semitism (I also doubt he's educated enough to know what
a Semite is... he seems to equate Semite to be a particular religious group
;) (among other things... he also didn't seem to understand what crimes fall
under the purview of the ICC (slaughter of meat in a Kosher style doesn't
fall under its jurisdiction)).

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>