[muglo] Re: CBC Radio One Audio Clip

  • From: Biti <Biti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:41:03 -0400

Hello Leith,

On Oct 28, 2005, at 12:15 PM, Leith Peterson wrote:

> I heard a really interesting show on CBC Radio One's Ontario Today
> yesterday and wanted to hear the audio clip again.  I downloaded the
> clip and can't figure out how to play it on my iBook G3 900; OS
> 10.3.9.  When I double-clicked it, I got a message asking me what
> application I wanted to use to open it, and I chose iTunes, but
> iTunes won't play it.  Now whenever I open up the clip, iTunes opens
> up and I can't figure out how to choose another application, nor do I
> know which  application I would choose anyway.
>
> I've looked at CBC Radio's help, but it hasn't helped me.  I will be
> contacting CBC for more info, but from past experience I know it can
> take a long time for them to get back to me.  I realize I could
> possibly order a taped version of the program, but it might cost $40+.
>
> The downloaded clip has a .ram extension.

.ram files are a RealAudio format, that requires a Real Audio browser
plug-in. It is a commercial product:
http://www.real.com/player/?src=realaudio
The only listening mode at <http://www.cbc.ca/ontariotoday/> I could
see was a WIndows Media player link. That particular link would only be
for streaming, not for saving to your hard drive.

HTH

Biti