[muglo] Re: 100% OT (non-computer) beef vs. the cholesterol study

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:42:58 -0400

>hey, you managed to get my 2 most frustrating & hated things into one
>email!
<snip>
>Tuesday I tried to bike out to Dundas & Shaw side Rd. Figured there'd
>be no sidewalks, but I wasn't prepared for the super highway that
>Dundas becomes from Clarke Side Rd on.  Figuring it wasn't worth
>getting killed over (either directly by car/truck or by flying
>debris) I gave up and turned back.
>
>But how silly of me. After all, London's focus these days is on
>building bigger and more roads, not at all on finding alternatives.
>And London is certainly not bike friendly.

Have you been to Windsor? I was there recently (for the first time in my
life) and it *really* is the armpit of Canada (as escapees from Windsor like
to call the city). London is pretty nasty when it comes to its complete
905-like obsession with the car but even London is "dense" and
environmentally friendly by comparsion. Residential side streets are wide
enough to be four-lane roads in any other Ontario city, and virtually *all*
roads are four or even *six* lanes. Six lanes for a low-volume road. If this
is what many US cities are like it's no wonder the US is in so many
oil-wars!!!

Walking? Forget about it. Only for children and people otherwise unable to
drive a car. Biking? Huh. Was' dat? (well, ok, to be fair, we did see two or
three cyclists in the two days we were there).

Eric.