[mswindowsxp] Re: HD labels

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 04:57:15 -0700

  Not exactly - you can change the VOLUME label so that the volume
will have the identifier you are looking for ... by going into the
same dialogue that you would use to format the disk you can assign
a Volume Label - to the removable media.  Whenever that volume
(ie. that particular removable disk) is in the drive then it will
show the LABEL for that drive in My Computer.  This would allow
you to know which removable you have in the drive at that time.
But only by looking at the info in My Computer.  I don't believe
that it is possible to have the volume label show in, say, a shortcut
on the desktop.
  This is all handled by the same stuff that shows you the fact that
you now have the WinXP install CD in the CD drive (for instance).

                                   - Jim

P.S. In everything I've said about "labels" I'm referring to the
     'internal label' of the volume that is recorded on the disk
     in the info that is changed by the using Format or other
     similar interfaces to the label ... and not some physical
     label that is written on the drive with a marker/pen/pencil.