[mountainmilers] Re: Sunday Run

I’m up for skull valley!! Get me off this treadmill and under the big sky!!

From: Golfdood51@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 9:19 PM
To: mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mountainmilers] Re: Sunday Run

I am up for it.  Rob and I are running 10-12 miles tomorrow (Sat.) starting at
the cafe and running up then back down the 10k course.  I personally think it
is a pretty course.  I can also name 2 of our club members that hated it right
out of the box and thought it was boring.  I still shake my head over those
comments.

We had a pact to keep this course a secret from you Tom.

Additionally, everyone seems to like the lookout to Skull Valley run but that
won't happen again till April/May with snow/ice at the high altitudes for most
of the winter.  I have still have pics of Dan-M, Steve-O and me in a springtime
club run soft-peddling our way down the eastern side on some serious snow and
ice.

We should be able to talk Rob into a Sunday run too and maybe some others will
want to do the 10k Skull Valley course?  Ken

In a message dated 1/14/2011 6:22:13 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
tomhahn@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
  Hello all - Drove the Skull Valley 10K course (at least I'm pretty
  sure I did... matched the directions and distance expected...).  It
  is dry with some damp but stable areas (no mud, Rob!), and
  beautiful... (How come nobody told me this route was so stunning?...
  maybe it was just the sunny afternoon away from work?)

  I drove the upper part of Copper Basin road, and checked it out from
  Thumb Butte Rd. down towards town.  The road is pretty muddy/slushy
  in places, with some uphill corners having significant ice all the
  way across the road for 30-40 yds at a stretch.  (To get there from
  Skull Valley, I drove back over the western half of Copper Basin
  road... was a great drive with bright sunshine, deep snow and a lot
  of mud... made the Cruiser do some work)

  From Copper Basin Rd, I also went over Hassayampa and down Thumb
  Butte Rd towards downtown.  Hassayampa is nice and clear, except
  about 1/4 mile from just below the steep hill to just above it, where
  the sidewalk is covered out into the road for the whole of the climb..
  Thumb Butte is also pretty snowy on the shoulders, for the stretch
  from just above the old Frys up to Hassayampa.  Probably needs
  another week of snow melt to be really safe to get through there with
  a group.

  So, I'd like to do the Skull Valley course if anyone else is up for
  it.  I can take 4 plus me in the Cruiser... (and I'll take my bike to
  use to get back to the truck, if there aren't two vehicles going).
  Maybe meet somewhere in the Willow Creek Rd./Iron Springs Rd.. area
  (the Y, maybe) at about 9am, to carpool out there?  Let me know, if
  anyone else is up for it...

  Tom