[mountainmilers] Re: Steve Orth - a man who has the 'A' towns confused....

  • From: "Hellenthal Mark A" <Mark.A.Hellenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:27:49 -0700

You got it Steve-O!!!!! Just for you!!!! I think we need to find a third
one for the evening then....just for a cool down of course....

See you soon!!! I will have to look into the skirt chasers race! lol
Actually, I am doing the Run for Life 5k - Paseo Park the day
before...hmmmmmmmmmm.........

Mark Hellenthal
IRS - LB&I Revenue Agent (ID #0359609)/ IMS SuperUser
NRC Group 1434: POD Phoenix, AZ

4041 N. Central Avenue, Suite 112
MS4201-PHX-MH
Phoenix, AZ 85012

VM 602-636-9416 - FAX 602-636-9460

________________________________

From: wersc@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
confused....
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:46:25 -0700

Ken:

Apparently you HAVE forgotten.  If the truth be told, I would suggest
you'd "repressed" the memory, but that's just because I'm working at an
office complex with any number of certified medical counselors in
residence.

Would you care for a referral?

Bests,

John P

On Wed Jan 26 16:53 , Golfdood51@xxxxxxx sent:

        Ok, that subject should have grabbed you.  Steve has been
talking about going to Athens, Greece for a marathon and has just
entered the Lost Dutchman's race in Apache Junction.

        Now the only thing Athens and Apache Junction have in common is
that they start with an "A".  All similarities end there.  In fact
throughout my life, I have entertained that any city ending in "ville"
or "junction" is flat out "Hicksville" (sorry for the pun) and should be
avoided.

        So I was thinking about the Lost Dutchman's race and it brought
up some memories that I wish to share with you - not that I am trying to
sway you into entering (YIKES) or trying to get you to run as fast as
possible in the opposite direction (SWEET).

        As I recall and my memory is still decent when it comes to
races, I was there 2006, 07, 08 and did the half there in 2006 and the
full the next 2 years.  I ran the half a week after the Sedona half
where they screwed up my time and would not fix it - so I had something
to prove.  The only thing I really remember is that the wind was
supposed to be coming out of the west so we would run with the wind for
a half, then against it for the 2nd half - I wanted the reverse.  Took
off and the wind was against us and the flags proved it - I remember
thinking to myself that the weather forecasters were chuckleheads to say
the least on blowing another forecast --- after turning around -as god
is my witness, the wind switched completely and was in my face and the
flags proved it.  I ran 13.1 into the wind.  Thanks Apache Junction...

        In my next year trying to smoke a marathon, I was feeling
awesome and was running quick at about 11, a young man offered me an
apple goo on an uphill stretch.  Sounded great even though I was not a
goo guy.  By 14, my stomach was starting to gurgle and the GI's were
mounting an attack...by 17 I was stopping at every porta pottie.  Twice
I didn't make it in time and that was not a pretty picture but I was
lucky that I was wearing an extra long sleeve T-shirt that I could wrap
around my waste.  May have been the worst I have felt in my life.  Kathy
Dahl was at the finish line and she said I could not have looked sicker.
Thanks Apache Junction...

        BUT I CAME BACK because runner's have short memories...the next
year, Steve-O went too.  I messed around and almost made us late for the
race.  I think we were on the last bus and the race started 4 minutes
after we got off the boss.  Nice warm up Ken.  I copped an attitude.
They got a really good picture of me running at about mile 6 - I am
guessing - one of my favorite pictures and I have it framed...got hot
that day. I swore at a truck flying by me on hwy 60 (there are 2 one
mile stretches where you run the shoulder of hwy 60).  I was pretty fast
that day too until a guy handled me a piano at mile 20 asked me to carry
it to the finish line for him...jackass.  But hey at least I ran under 4
hours.  And I was getting out of the "A" town...YES!!!!

        Maybe I should go back...I have forgotten the REALLY bad stuff!
Ken