[mountainmilers] April Progress Report

  • From: Terri Rashid <terri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 02:16:56 +0000

April was a good month of running for me. I logged 305.5 miles for the month
and completed my first "official" 100K at Zion, which was my second ultra of
2015. I also hit my highest ever 7-day total of 121.9 miles. That occurred on
the Thursday after Zion since I had both the 100K, and then did back-to-back
runs on Weds and Thurs of 23.9 and 20.75 miles. The following week I also had
my highest back-to-back training runs total of 62 miles with a 28.33 and 31.67
mile runs. (Yes, I really was that precise. Or anal. Depending on your point
of view. ;) )

My previous PF problems still seem to be resolved. No PF issues this month. I
am cautiously optimistic that those problems are behind me! I still get
Achilles insertional tendonitis (or tendonosis) after my longer runs, but I
*think* it's not as severe as it used to be, and it also seems to settle down
more quickly. Perhaps next year at this time I will be able to report NO
tendon issues at all! (Tendon issues seem to be a 1 to 2 year adaptation for
me - at least based on past experience.)

I mentioned in my March report that I had signed up for the Quad Rock 50 miler
in Fort Collins in May. As I said at that time, my primary goal is to finish
the 25M loop within the cutoffs so that I can at least get a completion for
that distance. I was hoping that perfect weather might allow me to somehow get
a completion in the 50M, but they've had rain this week, and the forecast this
morning (May 6) mentioned 100% chance rain on Saturday (race day), so it's not
looking promising. Race management even sent some email about having to
possibly re-route the course if the trail conditions deteriorate too much this
week. :( Still - I have tapered, and I am planning to give it my best shot.

Looking forward into May, I have a pretty busy schedule. The first weekend
(past now) Rick and I travelled to Ohio for the Advanced RV Fest. Advanced RV
makes custom Class B RVs and we have ordered one from them, so wanted to go to
their annual festival in order to see previous client vehicles and also learn
more about the Sprinter van as well as specific sub-systems. I plan to use our
new Class B next Fall to be able to more easily do some of the ultra events
down in the Phoenix area. This coming weekend I have Quad Rock 50M. If I am
not injured or too sore, then the following weekend I may participate in the
local Skull Valley 10K. That race was the first event I did after moving here
3 years ago, and many of our club members participate. The weekend after that,
which is after the boys get out of school for the year, we have a family trip
planned to Disneyland. :) And the last weekend in May is open for me, but
Rick will be taking Tieran to Comicon in Phoenix. So lots of travel on the
schedule for this month!

I don't have a lot of specific goals in May, aside from trying to complete Quad
Rock. After that I will just continue with normal training however it fits in
between our other family travel and the boys end-of-school-year scheduling. We
will head up to Montana in June, and then I will definitely be trying to do my
usual "hit as many trails as possible, and take LOTS of pictures" routine
there. :)

I hope April was a good month for you and that May finds you out enjoying some
good weather on the trails and/or roads that you love.

.Terri