<TW>Monday, 10 November 2008

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 17:02:46 -0600

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger
in the way described at the bottom of each morning prayer.  I won't be able
to do this for you during our time in Italy.  If you'd like to send a
message to Margie, DO NOT HIT REPLY AND SEND THIS MESSAGE.  That message
will not reach Margie.  Her e-mail address is:  marge@xxxxxxxxxx

T O D A Y
Today we cross the big pond!  Keep us in your prayers as we make our way to
Italy.  We're taking off from La Crosse, WI, O'Hare Airport in Chicago and
JFK Airport in New York.  We'll land in Rome early on Tuesday morning.

St. Leo the Great (d. 461)
With apparent strong conviction of the importance of the Bishop of Rome in
the Church, and of the Church as the ongoing sign of Christ's presence in
the world, Leo the Great displayed endless dedication in his role as pope.
Elected in 440, he worked tirelessly as "Peter's successor," guiding his
fellow bishops as "equals in the episcopacy and infirmities."  For more,
follow the link below:

For a bishop as God's steward must be blameless, not arrogant, not
irritable, not a drunkard, not aggressive, not greedy for sordid gain, but
hospitable, a lover of goodness, temperate, just, holy, and self-controlled,
holding fast to the true message as taught so that he will be able both to
exhort with sound doctrine and to refute opponents. ~Titus 1:1-9

Jesus said to his disciples, "Things that cause sin will inevitably occur,
but woe to the one through whom they occur.
It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck and he be
thrown into the sea than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin.
~Luke 17:1-6

As we remember Leo the Great, we think of the qualities of a holy and
successful bishop. We are called to follow God's call and the good example
of others, including our bishops, the successors of the apostles. We can
live our lives in such a way as not to cause others to sin.  Rather than
lamenting the small faith we have, we can put the faith we have given into
action, knowing that it will be more than adequate to meet God's call in our
lives.

I pray that I may be a good and holy person.  I pray that I may put my faith
into action as I strive to follow God's call in my life.