<MP>Tuesday, 14 July 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:02:08 -0500 (CDT)

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha (1656-1680)
The blood of martyrs is the seed of saints. Nine years after the Jesuits
Isaac Jogues and John de Brébeuf were tomahawked by Iroquois warriors, a
baby girl was born near the place of their martyrdom, Auriesville, New
York. Her mother was a Christian Algonquin, taken captive by the Iroquois
and given as wife to the chief of the Mohawk clan, the boldest and
fiercest of the Five Nations. When she was four, Kateri lost her parents
and little brother in a smallpox epidemic that left her disfigured and
half blind. She was adopted by an uncle, who succeeded her father as
chief. He hated the coming of the Blackrobes (Jesuit missionaries), but
could do nothing to them because a peace treaty with the French required
their presence in villages with Christian captives. She was moved by the
words of three Blackrobes who lodged with her uncle, but fear of him kept
her from seeking instruction. She refused to marry a Mohawk brave and at
19 finally got the courage to take the step of converting. She was
baptized with the name Kateri (Catherine) on Easter Sunday.

Pharaoh's daughter said to her, "Take this child and nurse it for me, and
I will repay you." The woman therefore took the child and nursed it. When
the child grew, she brought him to Pharaoh's daughter, who adopted him as
her son and called him Moses; for she said, "I drew him out of the water."
~Exodus 2:1-15a

For if the mighty deeds done in your midst had been done in Sodom, it
would have remained until this day. But I tell you, it will be more
tolerable for the land of Sodom on the day of judgment than for you."
~Matthew 11:20-24

God's mighty deeds can inspire us.  We can be reminded of our reliance on
God, and then summon the courage to turn back to Him with all our hearts.
If we try to make it on our own and do things our own way we end up
cutting ourselves off from our relationship with God. But God always
awaits our return.

I pray that I may always remember God's love and rely on Him for
everything.  I pray that I may turn back to Him with all my heart.