<MP>Tuesday, 07 July 2009

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 06:58:55 -0500 (CDT)

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

Blessed Emmanuel Ruiz and Companions (1804-1860)
Not much is known of the early life of Emmanuel Ruiz, but details of his
heroic death in defense of the faith have come down to us. Born of humble
parents in Santander, Spain, he became a Franciscan priest and served as a
missionary in Damascus. This was at a time when anti-Christian riots shook
Syria and thousands lost their lives in just a short time. Among these
were Emmanuel, superior of the Franciscan convent, seven other friars and
three laymen. When a menacing crowd came looking for the men, they refused
to renounce their faith and become Muslims. The men were subjected to
horrible tortures before their martyrdom.

Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is abundant but the laborers
are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his
harvest." ~Matthew 9:32-38

Jesus has compassion. He saw the crowds as "sheep without a shepherd."
And he knew he would need help.  He asked the harvest master to send out
laborers for His harvest.  That includes people like us, our friends and
family members.

We pray that many may hear God's voice as He calls them to help lead those
who are like "sheep without a shepherd."  We pray that they may respond
with generosity as they follow God's call.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

We pray for unity in our country and that we may build a Culture of Life.
We pray for the safety of our troops, their safe return and their families
at home.  We pray for a deep and profound respect for life, and for the
courage and willingness to stand up for life. We pray for one another, for
those who have asked our prayers and for those who need our prayers the
most. Have a         good day!