<MP>Friday, 18 June 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:28:17 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0
Early Sign-up Deadline ends after 10 July and price goes up $100 after that
18-28 October 2010 - $2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse Brochure,
sign-up sheet & links to hotels are now available at the Web Site:
www.frpat.com

WE'LL VISIT THE TOMB OF MATT TALBOT DURING OUR OCTOBER PILGRIMAGE TO IRELAND

Venerable Matt Talbot (1856-1925)
Matt can be considered the patron of men and women struggling with
alcoholism. Matt was born in Dublin, where his father worked on the docks
and had a difficult time supporting his family. After a few years of
schooling, Matt obtained work as a messenger for some liquor merchants;
there he began to drink excessively. For 15 years-until he was almost
30-Matt was an active alcoholic.  One day he decided to take "the pledge"
for three months, make a general confession and begin to attend daily Mass.
There is evidence that Matt's first seven years after taking the pledge were
especially difficult. Avoiding his former drinking places was hard. He began
to pray as intensely as he used to drink. He also tried to pay back people
from whom he had borrowed or stolen money while he was drinking. Most of his
life Matt worked as a builder's laborer. He joined the Secular Franciscan
Order and began a life of strict penance; he abstained from meat nine months
a year. Matt spent hours every night avidly reading Scripture and the lives
of the saints. He prayed the rosary conscientiously. Though his job did not
make him rich, Matt contributed generously to the missions. After 1923 his
health failed and Matt was forced to quit work. He died on his way to church
on Trinity Sunday. Fifty years later Pope Paul VI gave him the title
venerable.

For more, follow this link:

The Lord has chosen Zion for his dwelling. ~Psalm 132

Jesus said to his disciples: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on
earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But
store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor
thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your
heart be. ~Matthew 16:19-23

We are reminded of what is truly important in life.  These things cannot be
ruined by moths or decay or taken by thieves. We can store up treasures in
heaven by valuing our faith, family and friends and striving to walk in the
footsteps of Jesus.  Then our heart will be in the right place.

I pray that I may remember what is truly important I life.  I pray that I
may store up treasures in heaven by the way I live my life here on earth.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Nancy requests prayers for the health and safety of her pregnant daughter
and her baby to be. A member offers prayers of thanksgiving for job and
requests prayers to do job well and also for unemployed spouse to find good
work. Karla asks prayers for a special intention.

<MP>Morning Prayer is free, and is
Copyright XXM Father Pat Umberger,
a priest of the Diocese of La Crosse