<MP>Friday, 02 July 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 18:40:10 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0

   EARLY SIGN-UP DEADLINE ENDS AFTER 10 JULY
      PRICE GOES UP $100 AFTER THAT.

18-28 October 2010 - $2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse Brochure,
sign-up sheet & links to hotels are now available at the Web Site:
www.frpat.com

St. Oliver Plunkett (1629-1681)
The name of today's saint is especially familiar to the Irish and the
English-and with good reason. The English martyred Oliver Plunkett for
defending the faith in his native Ireland during a period of severe
persecution.  Born in County Meath in 1629, he studied for the priesthood in
Rome and was ordained there in 1654. After some years of teaching and
service to the poor of Rome he was appointed Archbishop of Armagh in
Ireland. Four years later, in 1673, a new wave of anti-Catholic persecution
began, forcing Archbishop Plunkett to do his pastoral work in secrecy and
disguise and to live in hiding. Meanwhile, many of his priests were sent
into exile; schools were closed; Church services had to be held in secret
and convents and seminaries were suppressed. As archbishop, he was viewed as
ultimately responsible for any rebellion or political activity among his
parishioners. Archbishop Plunkett was arrested and imprisoned in Dublin
Castle in 1679, but his trial was moved to London. After deliberating for 15
minutes, a jury found him guilty of fomenting revolt. He was hanged, drawn
and quartered in July 1681.

For more, follow this link:

"When will the new moon be over," you ask, "that we may sell our grain, and
the sabbath, that we may display the wheat?
We will diminish the containers for measuring, add to the weights, and fix
our scales for cheating! ~Amos 8:4-6, 9-12

The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat
with tax collectors and sinners?" He heard this and said, "Those who are
well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of
the words, I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the
righteous but sinners." ~Matthew 9:9-13

It is all too easy to criticize.  Jesus is undaunted by criticism and
continues to reach out to those who need help.  Those considered strong and
powerful don't show any need for Jesus and what He has to offer, so He
concentrates on those who acknowledge their need for help.

I pray that I may know my weakness and my sinfulness.  I pray that I may
acknowledge my needs and allow the Lord to help me.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Nancy from PA requests prayers for all those men and women who are serving
in the armed forces around the world and especially those serving in
Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq that  God may keep them from harm's way and
for all those veterans who have served that they may be remember especially
for their services in the past. Gin asks prayers for a special intention.

Judi asks prayers for a cure for the cancer of a 3-year-old boy. Christine
asks prayers for safe airline rides for vacation both to and from and that
her sons take care of themselves and her home while she is gone. A mother
asks for prayers for her sons who need to find employment and one who is
struggling with severe depression and anxiety. Jo Ann requests prayers for
special intentions for her son and his family.

<MP>Morning Prayer is free, and is
Copyright XXM Father Pat Umberger,
a priest of the Diocese of La Crosse