[moneytalks] Suggestions

  • From: "Jayson Smith" <ratguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:54:50 -0500

Hey there,
I just recently heard about this beta.  I've been playing with it and have
several suggestions.
First, I believe that when using self-voicing, you should definitely have
the option of getting keyboard echo when entering data.  When you're typing
in a number, you might not even know you've made a mistake until you either
check it out or you discover an unexplained error in your banking records.
I think it should be an option which defaults to being turned on.  However,
if you don't want keyboard echo you definitely don't want it so you should
be able to turn it off.
Also, I think the program should work better with Jaws.  I still use Jaws
4.02 on my Windows 98 machine.  It's possible it works better with later
versions, I have not tried it yet.  In particular, when I move through
transactions using the up and down arrows, only the column I am on gets
spoken, and not the payee and amount like happens in self-voicing.
Also, the Ctrl+Space key to speak the current transaction won't work if Jaws
4.02 is loaded.  I think it should.  If there is some way to interface with
Jaws, I think you should either have total self-voicing or no self-voicing
at all.  Currently, if you turn off self-voicing, certain things like
balances and spoken transactions are still spoken with the self-voicing.  In
my opinion these should be sent to the screen reader if one is being used.
Another small suggestion would be to put a dollar sign in front of all
dollar amounts the program displays or speaks.  This could be an option.  In
many cases, putting a dollar sign in front of a number makes screen readers
and speech synthesizers treat that number like an amount of money, speaking
in terms of dollars and cents, rather than just decimal numbers.
Jayson.