[moneytalks] Re: Problem with Recurring Transactions

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:44:47 -0500

Robert, you said:

    I also use a Word document to list all major bills that recur each

month.  When paid, I simply mark it with something.

Why? If its just something you always did, that's fine, but it seems
like you might be going to too much extra trouble. That is what cleared
transactions are for.

It is also already possible to restrict the view to recurring
transactions.

My checking account is purely Money Talks. No extra files; no
reminders; no anything. And yes, it balances to the penny if I stay on
top of it.

I once tried to get a sighted person to try Money Talks. Their problem
was that they felt that they would have to enter the information twice;
once in their paper check register, and once in the program. I couldn't
convince them to forget about the paper register; that is the way they
always did things. So, Money Talks didn't work out for them.

It is also possible that I don't understand your reliance on the Word
file. Let me explain how I manage my account, in the hope that it will
help.

1. I almost never use the "Advanced days to post" feature. The only
time I use it is for things that happen twice a year or less. I tried
it, but it wasn't for me.

2. All of my regular transactions, whether credits or debits, are set
up as recurring transactions.

3. About mid month, I use the Project Recurring feature and go out to
the end of the next month. So, for example, today I might project
through March 31.

4. After projecting, I look over the transactions and see if there is
anything unusual about the period to which the transactions apply. For
example, will I be spending more because I am on vacation? Is there a
one-time bill that needs to be paid?

5. I never clear transactions until they are due. Of course, I almost
never use checks. If you insist on using checks, things are a little
more complicated, but they can be managed. If I use a check, I tend to
clear it when I send it, and worry about any problems later. That way, I
won't spend the money. Perhaps this technique won't work in your
situation.

Rob Meredith

>>> rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx 02/09/07 05:45PM >>>
Margaret and Rob,
    I also use a Word document to list all major bills that recur each

month.  When paid, I simply mark it with something.

    I have not played with the advance feature but it makes sense.  If
you
know the latest date you expect to receive and pay the bill, it ought
work.  Perhaps what could work here is to add a new sound that goes,
ding
ding ding when the item is highlighted.  But that could be annoying
huh.

    How about adding this to the Restrict menu instead where we can
choose
to limit the view to such transactions.

    Also, I mentioned this before but will again.  I think it would be
quite
useful to add ability to view documents such as what Margaret and I
both do,
on the View menu.  Do this via Options where we can set the path and
file
name.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
you;
that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
 -- Mark Twain
Robert & Dreamer Doll (Guide Dawggie)
Newport, Oregon
N24C 3G 8/2000 Hookup