[moneytalks] Re: MT searches

  • From: "Steve Zielinski" <steveziel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 17:57:10 -0500

Hi Robert,

ctrl+F3 restricts to exactly what is in the column you are focused on. Therefore if you are focused on a specific check number, your restriction will be only that one check. Sollution, go to the item column and if you want to search for all checks which are in the 800 range, then just type the single digit 8 in the item field. You will end up with checks that range from 800 to your highest check written which begins with the digit 8.

To search for positive or negative values, focus on the amount field. Type a plus sign, like so, + and only positive values will be restricted. Type a minus sign, like so, - and only negative values will be restricted.

Perhaps a statement in the docs could clarify this. In the past, it was necessary to type a minus sign to restrict to negative values, now it is optional. But this can lead to confusion. Perhaps a clarifying statement in the docs could solve this. For instance, specifically showing this example of restricting to negatives or positives by just typing a plus sign or minus sign and indicating that one can optionally type a minus sign while restricting to negative values. I like the option to not have to type a minus sign, since most of the time, it's negative values which I'm searching for.

If you input a payee/payer name as a credit, the next time you use that payee/payer name it automatically is set to a credit, like the last time you used the payer/payee name.

If you change the credit to a debit, then that payee/payer name will default to debit.

For this reason it might be a good idea to not use the same name for credits and debits, you will constantly have to check the credit/debit checkbox and each time you change the default, you will need to re-establish the category and subcategory fields for the transaction. One sollution is to use slightly modified payee/payer names, for example, if your credit card account is with Great Bank, you could use, "Great Bank (payment)", "Great Bank (finance charge)", and just "Great Bank" if you are doing a charge. Same concept for checking accounts where you might deposit and withdraw at the bank counter. You'd still use the appropriate item in your item field.

Just think of it like this, the credit/debit status, and category and subcategory are associated with each payee or payer name. If payee Food Lion is a debit, and has a category of shopping and a subcategory of "Food Lion, (that's a grocery store in Florida, Then anytime you input Food Lion in the payee/payer field, you will always get these settings as a default unless you change them.

You can continually use the ctrl+F3 command and do further restrictions on your first restriction, but I know this isn't exactly what you are talking about. I believe the instant you start to actually type in a field to do a restriction, the previous restriction is eliminated and you get a new restriction based on your typing in the field. Though I'm not 100 percent on this.

Hope this helps and best luck,
Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Clark" <rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx>