[moneytalks] Re: Beta: Regarding transfering sub-parts ofsplit transactions to other accounts.

  • From: "Steve Zielinski" <steveziel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:16:19 -0500

Hi William,

One example would be when you take cash out of an ATM machine from your checking account. You might want to put some of it in your pocket, put another amount into savings, and perhaps put the rest into a credit card account. I've often put cash from an ATM into a credit card account at a different bank than the one I've pulled the cash from. This issue first came up
when I first noticed the descrepency, where all sub-transactions of a split can be transfered with ease except for the top one in the group.

Another example would be if you go to a grocery store, use a debit card and make a purchase and take cash back. You then use that cash and deposit it into your credit card or savings account. This gives a clean money trail from your checking account to the other accounts. Again, you can manually just enter the cash deposit in MT's credit card or savings account. But that's more keystrokes, and I've done that too.

So though this might be a rather unusual type of transaction, and perhaps of limited use, if it can be modified to work on all sub-transactions with minimal programming effort, I think it might be helpful. Hence all the good discussion on the topic.

And yes, transfering the whole group of sub-transactions is pretty meaningless, but perhaps, under certain circumstances, certain sub-parts can be meaningfully transfered from one MT account to another.

Your method of dealing with splits in the example is a good one. It uses one payee to pay different items handled by that one payee. In my example, it is one payer's transaction, often myself or a food store, going into multiple accounts.

Just some thoughts and examples.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Hubbs" <w.hubbs@xxxxxxxxxxx>