[modeleng] Re: the wife...

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:31:45 -0000

Hi Eric

I had an onset of madness a couple of years ago, and bought, sight unseen,
from a chap I did not know, a 38-year-old Hardiinge lathe!    It was
fortunately a good buy, and despite its great age, displays little wear.
It was quite a learning curve to learn to use the beast.     It is heavily
built, but has a top speed of 3,000 rpm!    It is  joy for screwcutting -
you can cut at speed up to a shoulder, and it STOPS.    The handbook
suggests modestly, that you do not screwcut at more than 1,000rpm!

Cheers!   Hubert