[modeleng] Re: stolen engines and equipment

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:02:32 -0400

An old saying here about guys going into the police is "too lazy to work,
too dumb to steal". ( Bit of levity never hurts.)

However, thefts such as these are not the police's fault, and it would take
an army to patrol everyone's street, several times a night, all over the
world.

If you have something worth protecting (our models sure are) then I believe
the onus is on the owner to install a monitored security system, preferably
with a direct call in feature to local police. With a theft such as this of
heavy items, the thieves were probably on the premises for some time. With a
monitored alarm they surely would have been caught if a silent alarm had
called police and their response was even as long as 10 minutes. Door/window
alarms and motion detectors are usually sufficient, video monitoring is
great but very much more expensive.

A monitored alarm system is a big investment and another monthly cost, but
the alternative is painful indeed as Mr.Palmer found out. Compared to the
time we spend building, the cost is less significant.

I have such a system, and sleep better knowing it, at home or when
traveling. We may still experience a break in with it, but it is less likely
due to the warning signs around the property. Even if we do, chances are
good the thieves will be caught red handed and our property will be
recovered.

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada