[modeleng] Re: 'oles

  • From: Doug Edwards <stueart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:37:18 -0800

I agree with what Jesse has said, and will add a couple more comments.
 I thin the web of the
drill when drilling hard stuff.  On the standard sharpening of a drill,
the center part of the drill just
rubs against the material, which promotes work hardening if care is not
taken.  I also find a
heavy center punch on location tends to help.  A sharp drill makes the
job go a whole
lot easier.

I no longer buy HSS endmills under 1/4".  Over all in the smaller sizes,
carbide is a whole
lot cheaper for what I do, and carbide will go through the spring steel
very easily.

My personal first choice would be to punch the hole.  I remember plans
for a small
hole punch in ME in the mid to late 50's.  It has been on my to do list
for a number of
years.

Regards,

Doug